Friday, September 16, 2011

Guest Post: S is for Shavonne and B is for bag!

Shavonne is amazing! She is a labor and delivery nurse, and she has actually delivered a baby before!  She's a planner and an organizer, but still has her moments of chaos.  She's an amazing knitter (way better than I could ever be- and fast too!) she sews, she's super creative and is wonderful at colors and patterns that go together.  She is having her first baby within a month and has the nursery all done and everything.  I'm telling you, ultra prepared- but a procrastinator at the same time ;) To read last last year's post click HERE 

I've had alot going on the last month or so since Sharon sent out the email requesting everyone if they could do a guest post for Sewing month. I was glad for the advanced warning, but it wasn't until last week that I decided on what I was going to make. And it wasn't until yesterday that I actually had the time to sit down and make it! I was at work (I work as a RN in Labor & Delivery) and saw a patient with this bag she had made and I loved how it many pockets it had. She didn't remember exactly where she had gotten it but I did a little investigative work on the Internet and found what I think is the exact pattern to the bag she had. She had made hers a larger size, and I had the same intentions, but didnt' have enough fabric. This pattern only has 8 steps to it and actually was quite simple! I am not great at sewing but it only took me about 2 1/2 hours, but that was because I had to re cut some fabric. I know if I make it again it probably take less than an hour - especially because I didnt' make the handles, I bought twill tape (I think I'm in love this this stuff...)

The name of the pattern is: Pick-A-Pocket Purse and here is the link 
Here was my initial choice of fabric but I only ended up using two of them. My cat, Mitch, was supervising...

 This is showing step 2-5 on the pattern. I chose not to use any batting when I made it. I was wanting a thinner lighter bag, but that was my preference.

 I decided to add a small pocket on the inside too so I just kind of made a square and then sewed it on. I don't know if you can see it, but the ruler is showing the placement.

 All sewed up and could be turned inside out now, or you could shape the bottom, which is what I did. The next picture shows that.

Then the magic happens.... You turn it inside out through the hole and something amazing happens!

 Sew the opening in the lining, then tuck it into the bag and Voila! You have an awesome little purse/tote with LOTS of pockets!

  I LOVE how it turned out and I love my fabric choice and the twill handles.
It is perfect for a purse, or project bag, or even a scripture purse for church. The finished size is 8x10x4.

If you are a beginner or hesitant seamstress, this is a great project to make. Hope you have fun with it and love your cute little bag!  

2 comments:

Mags said...

I like your fabric choices.

Shaina said...

It's a perfect little scripture tote! Great job!