Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Guest Post: Courtney, Sassy Skirts

Courtney is so talented.  She is pretty great at whatever she decided to do.  She pretends like she's not amazing or anything, but seriously, she picks up on things so fast.  She's great at figuring things out, and making it work.  Her hobbies are far too many to list, she's a great cook and is constantly redesigning her house.  She loves color and is one sassy momma.  To read her blaanket tutorial she did last year, click HERE
 A couple of months ago I made some dresses for my girls and they never wear them. I was sad because the fabric was so cute that I felt like they were completely wasted. Then I thought, if I made them skirts, they would wear those.  I still had leftover material and so I got to work making them some cutsie type skirts that could be worn to church or school or for just casual wear.  I followed this tutorial on how to make them. Click here.
 They always want to wear their skirts which makes me feel better about sewing for them.

After making their skirts, I still had fabric left over and so I attempted, by just eyeing it, to make myself a skirt. I didn't want mine to be straight either, so I cut at a diagonal from the top of my skirt to the bottom to create a more A-line. I also didn't want elastic around the entire top of the skirt so I only added it on the back. It ended up turning out pretty good.
My only qualm is that I think the back is too puffy. I would have liked it to lie down more smoothly like the front panel does. I think my goal for next year is to be able to do zippers. If this skirt had a zipper instead of a granny elastic band in the back, it would look so much nicer.
I just got a new sewing machine with all sorts of gadgets and so who knows what amazing sewing surprises will come out of me next year when I am featured on Sharon's blog, but until then, enjoy looking at this close up picture of my super cute skirt.

3 comments:

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

Ohh Corks I like the skirts. You did a great job on those. I am impressed with your sewing skills as of late. and I am super excited to see what you make next year for your guest post!

Mags said...

It's very cute fabric. I'm curious as to how puffy the back got, but then again who wants a picture of their rear posted online? Have Sharon teach you to do zippers. Or you could do some sort of wrap around thing if zippers are tough.

Shaina said...

You did a great job picking out fabric, and I admire your projects! Great job!