Friday, September 23, 2011

Guest Post: Mel conquers the chair

One of the things I love about having me family and friends guest post for me during sewing week, is the cool projects they conquer.  Sometimes it's the first time they try something, or a project they have been doing for a while.  They really are terrific.  its fun to have me involve my family in one of my loves, sewing!  My sis in law Mel is always so productive.  I have never seen her house dirty, she is an amazing cook and she finds time to sew.  When I sew, pretty much everything else in the house goes down the drain.  But Mel can do it all, I'm pretty sure its because she doesn't sleep, haha.  Last year Mel shared her sewing tips and tricks, they are really handy! Click HERE for that post
So to make a long story short. My friend Lucy found this little chair at a yard sale years ago and she recovered it the first time for her little boys and they are grown up now and so she wanted to recover
it for her brothers two little girls. We found this cherry fabric and we both fell in love with it. It started out being our project but in the middle of trying to move she handed it over to me to finish. Their family was moving to Guatemala and she ran out of time to help me finish it. She was so excited to give this to her niece Olivia and a new sister on the way. I wanted to make sure it looked as good as
possible. When she left it with me there were a few spots that I had to fix and the bottom wasn't turning out well so at the last minute we decided to put the ruffle all along the bottom and it totally made it. What a project. I'm not sure I will ever do that again but at least I can say I have tried it. I can sew pretty good but furniture is a lot harder than it looks, for sure!!!! Now I share this with you because I have never covered anything in my life, let alone a piece of furniture. It has many mistakes and the back doesn't look that great, but who sees the back, right!. Anyway, I was pretty proud of myself. I hope you all like it too.
Melissa

1 comment:

Shaina said...

What a project! Great job!