Mel is my sister-in-law, like Autumn and Karissa. But I love them all like they are my born to my family sisters. They are the best! Jayne calls Mel, Meee-el, super cute! Mel has four boys, and we always say that their baby sister lives with us, AKA Jayners. (we also have their dog, since they won't ever have one) Mel is a die hard Twilight Fan, she LOVES Edward. She's an amazing decorator, super organized, really crafty, her house is always clean, and she keeps my brother in check. I really don't know how she does it. I can only accomplish about 3 things at a time (keeping Jayne and Max alive and..................(fill in the blank- craft, clean, sew, kint, cook...). Mel is really fun to hang out with, if I go to many months without seeing her, I start to go crazy.
Hello everyone,
When Sharon asked me a few weeks ago to write a spot for her blog for National Sewing Month, I was first surprised there was such a thing and then I started thinking about what I was going to write. I thought back to my Junior High years. My first sewing class was in 8th grade.My mom used to sew and craft a lot when we were young but as she got older her arthritis got bad she stopped doing a lot so I'm not sure where my sister and I got the desire to want to sew. I think I just thought it would be fun. Anyway, my teacher was not the best. She was ornery a lot of the time but despite that I managed to make my very first patchwork quilt, which I still have, and learned the basics of sewing. I remember loving it. I couldn't wait to start a new project.
I have since then had some awesome teachers and family to teach me over the years. My sewing teacher all through high school was Mrs. Smith.I loved that class. I had so much fun. There were also 2 guys in my class, boy could they sew. We had a lot of fun and by then I was pretty good at it. I have a knack with sergers. Somehow I was always on brake down duty. Whenever a machine broke down Mrs. Smith would always call me over. I didn't mind so much, it definitely taught me a lot. I can honestly say there are 2 people that I owe a lot to my sewing ability. Mrs. Smith and my aunt Tine, AKA Christine. Mrs.Smith taught me how to sew but my aunt taught me the tricks of sewing.She is a brilliant seamstress and drapes are her specialty. My sis and I used to fly up to Seattle every summer for a month and she would always have some sort of sewing project for us to do. We always had a lot of fun making new things with her.
I also have to give a shout out to my sis. We have been sewing together for many years now. She went to school up at "Rick's," to go into the same program that Sharon graduated from. She makes the most beautiful things. Because of her education, she has taught me even more than I ever would have learned. I still am learning from her everyday. We started up our own business together last year. It's called, "Just Sisters." Between the both of us we have 7 boys and it's fun to be able to make girly things together. We definitely compliment each other and have a blast making things for others.
I am grateful for all those who have taught me all that I know so that I can teach others about this wonderful gift that I have, to sew.
I am what you would call, A PERFECTIONIST, the be mild about it. I like my projects to be perfect but of coarse there is always something that is not. I love to see the finished product and know that I did that. I think that's the best thing about knowing how to sew. It's an awesome feeling. So I would like to give a bit of advise. 3 things that I have learned over the years that I think are the most important things about sewing:
1. Cut your strings.
2. Press, Press, Press
3. Pin, Pin, Pin Because
I do these three basic things, my projects almost always turnout great, and yours will to.
I hope you all have enjoyed a bit about me and my trip down memory lane. I love to sew and it scares me to think that so many girls nowadays don't know how to sew. It's becoming such a lost art and it makes me sad. I love to sew and I hope those that those that have a desire to sew will find a way to get started. It really is a lot of fun. So for all of you out there reading this cheesy summary of my life sew on my fellow sewers, sew on.....
3 comments:
I've learned a lot from you (and your sister!) too! I'm so glad you are in our family. Love ya Mel!
You make amazing things!
From what I've seen shes great! I agree with her three hints. you cant sew without an iron!
Post a Comment