Courtney is the oldest of the younger kids on my family, she's number 6. Everyone thinks she's younger then me, even though she has 4 kids (probably cause I'm taller). Courtney is actually one of the reasons I decided to go into Family Consumer Science Education (Home Ec). See, she took a sewing class about the same time I was a freshman in high school. She made this black dress that I totally loved (and grew out of), and I thought it would be cool to go to college and just sew. That's just what I ended up doing. You were my inspiration Courtney!
(I don't think she even knew that)
Whenever someone has a baby shower to go to, one of the first gift ideas to come to some one's mind is to give a blanket. I really like this bow-tie edging on fleece blankets because it makes the baby blanket look fancier and it makes you look more skilled and talented, though, it is actually really simple and easy to do.
As a side note, I am making two of these blankets for my sister-in-law, Megann, to put with her baby gift baskets raffle. Her daughter has been Type 1 Diabetic since she was 1 year old. The money for the raffle will go towards helping to find a cure! If you would like to know more or donate towards this foundation, go to http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=87681958
I am not sure if these blankets would work for my sister, Shaina's blanket drive, but her beautiful little boy was born with heart problems and spent a lot of time in the NICU. Little Kimble enjoyed many a donated blanket while recovering from his heart surgeries in the NICU. Shaina has organized a blanket drive to give her thanks for the help that the wonderful staff gave her and her son during their stay in the hospital. To learn more about this go to http://just-because-i-am-me.blogspot.com/2010/04/childrens-hospital-blanket-drive.html
The Tutorial
1. Buy a piece of fleece that is big enough to make a good size blanket. I like 36x60 because then the baby can still use it as a toddler too!
2. Cut a slice every 4 inches and about 3 inches deep. Remove the corner squares.
4. Take a needle and thread, I use cross stitch floss, and tie a knot in the middle. Make it tight!
5. Do it for every square and viola, you have a very cute bow-tie blanket ready to snuggle any baby!
My precious little Jordyn enjoying a slumber in her bow-tie blanket . You can do this technique for girls or boys!
5 comments:
that's cute corks. I've never seen a fleece edging like that. Very clever.
fleece blankets work fabulous, for the blanket drive!
I love the passed out picture. I haven't seen that edging on a baby fleece blankie. Kinda cool.
I didn't know that I inspired you Sharon! Cool! I really liked that black dress too! I'm glad that you liked it, I always wondered what happened to it.
Each one of my kids have a bow-tie blanket all their own. They call them their special blankies!
I didnt know how anyone did that! now i can do it and say i'm a master at sewing
So very cute! I need to get myself to the fabric store and make one post haste.
Post a Comment