There are tons of tools for sewing. When you go into any craft store, there are rows and rows of sewing notions and equipment. I've gathered up 8 of my favorite sewing supplies, the ones I can't live without.
1. Button Hole Cutter- Have you ever cut the opening of your button hole, just to slice right through your stitching? Ah! Its the worst, especial because the button holes are usually one of the last steps in finishing a project. The button hole cutter works wonders. The first time I used one, I totally fell in love. For anyone who wants to sew clothes, or wants to have awesome button holes, this is definitely a tool you want in your arsenal.
2. Seam Gages- I use my seam gage all the time, especially when I iron. I want to make sure my hem is the same ALL the way around. When I space buttons apart. for other endless reasons. It helps me to be a accurate seamstress.
3. Point Turner- This is also a tool I can not live without. I sew projects with corners all he time(blankets, pillows, toys, clothing...) I like both the wooden and plastic ones, which is why i have one of each. The plastic one also has a curved edge, to use on... those curved edges! It basically helps you get all those edged where they are suppose to be. I use this tool hand in hand with my iron.
4. Scissors- I'm a snob when it comes to scissors. I NEED to have a really good pair. I use Ginghers. They are sharp, have some weight, and cut through layers and layers of fabric. They can even handle leather. My one big thing about my sewing scissors is NEVER EVER use them to cut paper. It is the worst thing you can do to them. In my opinion, this is one place where the cheaper option isn't worth the sacrifice, get yourself a good pair of shears.
5. Chalk wheel- I hardly ever use marking pencils, chalk wheels are where my loyalty lies. They are smooth, come of easily. they get the job done, and they come in a variety of colors, my favorite being white. Do yourself a favor ad go get yourself one.
6. Measuring tape- If you are going to take the time to sew, you want to measure and remeasure. there is nothing worse than putting the time into making something and it turns out too small/big. Its the absolute pits.
7. Seam rippers- I make my fair share of mistakes. I have picked out too many seams to count. This also a tool I'm a snob about. Those blue seam rippers that come in every sewing kit? Throw them out and get yourself one of these babies. They cut like butter, and make the unpleasant job of ripping out your work enjoyable. Go ahead, buy one now, you'll thank me later.
8. Thread- a must have for any sewing project you have. Seriously, you can't sew without it. I buy thread every time I go to the fabric store. Not that cheap 2 for a dollar thread, get the good stuff. It won't knot up in your project, it will give you consistent stitches, and it will look nice in your project.
Sewing doesn't have to be expensive. You'll save more money in the long run if you invest in some good tools now. Do you have a sewing notion you can't live without? I want to hear about it!
Just because I know how important it is to have good tools while sewing, I'm going to give away a brand new seam ripper. One of the most important tools in sewing.
(winner announced Monday Sept 6th)

4 comments:
I always tell everyone that if you want your sewing projects to come out nicely, YOU MUST IRON everything. Edges, seams, folds...everything. Makes it look nice and pretty.
Also, I LOVE my rotary blade and mat. Makes for perfect cutting and measuring.
Dear Sharon,
you have a billion of those niiice seam rippers, and a billion and a half of the cheapo ones. ...and you gave me a cheapo one. Why not a niiice one?! I'm in it to win it
I've always wondered what #2 was for. I had no idea. And I need to be better about ironing. I am lazy.
I don't think I have a favorite tool, but I'm dying for some Gingher scissors. My grandma has a Gingher rotary cutter too which I would also love. I think my wish list for sewing stuff is about a mile long. :)
I agree with you about having Ginghers! I have a pair, and love them. :) Working with dull scissors is a nightmare!
Post a Comment