Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Guest Post: S is for Shavonne, and A is for Apron

My sister Shavonne is one of the nicest people you could meet.  She and I have some pretty funny similarities (read more about her and my other 6 sisters here)  Shavonne has two kitties, she’s a great nurse ( I wish she could have been my baby delivery nurse).  She likes to go letter boxing.  She loves Sims.  She is a super talented knitter (totally my inspiration, I only wish I was half as great as she is!) She also LOVES apple pie, which reminds me, I need to get her recipe from her…

When Sharon asked me about her plans to celebrate Sewing Month, I was pretty excited for her upcoming posts. But then she asked me to do one of the guest postings and I was very hesitant. This was not the best time for me because of work obligations and I’ve been putting it off. Anyway, I’m not going to be able to show the work in progress, but I’ll show the finished products I’ve made in the past.

I first learned to sew from my mom, like all of us girls. I was always interested in how you can take a flat piece of fabric and turn it into clothes, blankets, wedding dresses, etc. I remember making my first quilt while I still lived at home and I bought my first sewing machine after I graduated from nursing school. Then I began experimenting with other sewing projects. I was fortunate in my marriage to gain a Mother-in-law that is also very talented with sewing and I’ve learned many more things and we’ve had fun sewing projects together.

One thing that I love to make and to wear are aprons. Whether they are full, or half, dressy, or functional, vintage or new, I love them all. Both my Moms have made me aprons and I love to wear them.

This is one pattern book that I’ve used often. I’ve given away all the ones I’ve made but I have the fabric set aside for the one I want to make for myself (I just wasn’t able to get to it).  The best part, I think, is shopping for the fabric :)

apron_book

Hopefully this will inspire you how easy and fun aprons can be and what a great gift they’ll make for Christmas!  apron_2b apron_3b

3 comments:

Nancy said...

i love the aprons you wear! For my cooking class, we have to wear aprons and shavonne, i wear the one you gave me!

Shaina said...

I love aprons too. Great book, with beautiful aprons in it. Wearing aprons is part of the fun of cooking!

courtney said...

I really like to wear aprons but I only have the one that Jared's mom made for him. It is long and boyish!