Thursday, September 16, 2010

Guest Post: Just an Amateur Holding a Needle and Thread

Karissa is my new sister-in-law. I love her. She is so perfect for my brother Ian. She is super funny and awesome to hang out with. I really only have a couple of months of memory to pull stories from, but here’s some facts. Karissa is a gamer, she’s way better at video games then Ian. When we were playing Guitar hero, she sang and played the Guitar-pretty talented. She is totally willing to try new things (like sewing, she’s never done it before) She’s a pretty good bowler. I can’t wait to get to know my new sister better!

When Sharon asked me to do a blog on sewing for her, I knew I would end up procrastinating deciding on a project and actually doing it, because I generally don’t like doing things that I’m not good at. Well, somehow I married into a family with a zillion women that are experts at just about everything that I am not (sewing, cooking…the list goes on and on). So, I’m glad that they ask me to do things like this, because otherwise I would never do them and hopefully one day I’ll look a little less inexperienced next to them!

Last week when it started to look a little more like winter was coming, I decided to go get my winter clothes out of storage and as I pulled out all of my winter coats, I realized that all except one were missing buttons. So, I figured since I needed to do it before winter anyways, and since I literally have never sewn a button onto anything in my life, why not make replacing the buttons my project? (I know, it’s like someone asking you to do a cooking project, and you decide to cook top ramen). Maybe you wouldn’t do it, but apparently I would. If you have ever read my one and only sandwich blog, you could probably guess that I’m not always an over achiever.

The blue coat with gold buttons was missing the most, obviously, but luckily I hadn’t lost any of the buttons that had fallen off so I could just sew them all back on.

DSCN0380 DSCN0398

Unfortunately, the gray coat was missing a big silver button on the front. I hunted all over town and could not find any buttons like it, so I ended up taking a silver button from the back of the coat and replaced those buttons with black ones.

DSCN0395DSCN0382

DSCN0396

The brown coat has buttons sewed on the front but it actually closes with clasps on the inside. The clasps had stopped working and my coat would always pop open, so I got some new clasps from Michael’s and sewed those on.

DSCN0399DSCN0383

Lucky for me, my other blue coat had a spare button sewn to the inside so I didn’t have to go searching.

DSCN0381DSCN0397

All in all my sewing experience was great. Next time I’ll try and take on something more complicated, but hey, I’m ready for winter! I have such a great respect for all you sewers out there, it’s no piece of cake for me.

Karissa Weber

7 comments:

Shaina said...

I think sewing on buttons is really great. I don't often take the time to do that. I think that when you get a new item from the store, most have an extra button hooked onto the tag or something. IT's a good idea to keep a "button container" or something, so when missing buttons happen, you know exactly where another one is.

By the way, Karissa, how is it that all your coats are missing buttons? For some reason, I find that humorous.

Welcome to the family. Don't be feeling overwhelmed. I just began sewing a few years ago, and I've been in the family my entire life!

Mags said...

I second the fact that you married into a talented family. But the cool thing about the Weber clan, they are always so nice and willing to help even if you haven't a clue what is going on.

Nancy said...

wow thats a lot of missing buttons! great job! I bought a jacket once and all the buttons were loose. It took forever to secure them all!

kdaygirl said...

I am impressed by how mnay coats you have, although you wont be needing them in Florida, but you will for sure be the most fabuliously (SP?) dressed not old women around!
Jason does a great job at sewing buttons in our house. He did Addasons suit and the button didnt match at all, at least all of yours cordinate.

courtney said...

Nice job sista! sewing buttons is one of those tasks that always gets put on the back burner! I have a pile of Jared's pants that are waiting for me to fix the buttons that have been popped off! (That's what you get for getting a gut! haha, like he could ever get a gut!)

Thanks Mags for thinking that we are so great!

Thanks SHaron for doing this sewing month blog!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think you fit right in beautifully. Shaina had a sisters weekend about 2 years ago where they made Watches and I am not sure what else. Maybe Mel brought that project. You would have fit right in. Anyway, everyone has a very important place, including you.