My mom is the best mom in the world. She is so supportive of all of our hobbies and dreams. She was always there when we needed her, including now during sewing month! I first learned to sew from my mom, she would let all of us kids use her machine if we wanted. She always was proud of what we made and helped us fix the mistakes. She's basically everything a mom should be. Even now that I'm on my own, and have my own little family, my mom is there for me whenever I need her. to see last year's post by my mom, click HERE.
When I began having my babies many years ago, my mother made me some flannel receiving blankets. I loved those receiving blankets, not only because she made them for me, but because they were 36” square! They are wonderful. They keep the baby’s parts in and warm. Have you ever tried to wrap a baby in those rectangular ones that measure about 28” by 40” Awkward!!! Frustrating!!! Downright maddening!!!. Someone other than a mother must have invented them. If you would like to make some for your loved ones you will need either 1 or 2 yards of the same or different flannel. Cut the Material 36’ square. If you want a doubled blanket for warmth place 2 pieces of flannel together with the right side on the inside. Sew most of the way around the edges ( I curve around the corners) leaving a 6’ opening. Reach in the opening and turn the material inside out. Your right sides of the fabric should be on the outside. Turn under the 6” strip and slip stitch it shut. Now top stitch all around the edges about ¼ to ½ inch in. You may use a decorated stitch if you like. If you only want a single layer blanket, only use one piece of flannel and serge the edges. Again top stitch if you like a pretty pattern or not. I have always made a few for my daughters and hopefully they will agree that they are much easier to keep a squirming baby in.
Recently my church women’s group began a service project for our local Crisis House.”. Children’s blankets are one of the items we are gathering. I found a King size fleece blanket on sale for $14.99, regularly $89. This was within my budget. I cut it in quarters and finished the edges on two sides by just repeating the folded over hem already in place with a wide zig zag stitch. Here is a picture showing how easy it was. I didn’t even have to turn the edge under first.
The remaining two quarters of the king size blanket, I just serged all around the edges. I used a very small crochet hook to finish the tail of the serger string and secure it within the stitches around it, piece of cake. You can also glue it in with “No Fray” if you like.
Here is a picture of my finished Blankies!
3 comments:
I have to agree with the size of the blankets, and I always make mine big as well. It's one thing people always comment on. "Your blanket sizes are perfect!" Thanks for teaching us Mom!
The best baby gifts I ever got were from a lady at Church. She gave me a boppy for my first and then oversized flannel receiving blankets for every child following. I LOVED them!
Yes mom the larger sized blankets were perfect. I loved getting those from you when my babies were born. I still have them too. Great post mom.
Post a Comment