Monday, September 19, 2011

Guest Post: Shaina, the one woman (head)band

Shaina has become a total seamstress over the past 18 mo.  She really inspires me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things.  She also comes up with fantastic new ideas and has a great eye for cool color and pattern combinations.  Shaina is also a great writer, chef,  and photographer.  She basically has hands of gold, and everything she tries/does turns out amazing.    Last year she did an awesome bag tutorial, click HERE for that.

I love it when I see things that were intended for one purpose, being used for another. Lately I've been really in to headbands. I've always loved wearing headbands. It adds that extra something to an outfit; a bit of personality to your look. So when I was making bow ties for my boys, I made a few extra to sell at our local Farmer's Market. Time after time, people kept coming up to my table, grabbing the bow ties, and trying to fit them to their little girl's heads. I kept correcting them. "These are bow ties. For boys." Then another vendor came up, grabbed a bow tie, and tried to put it around her head. After telling her that they were bow ties, she said she would want to wear one as a headband, and could I make the strap a little longer so she could do that.

Of course I could do that! So I went home and made another bow tie (only in a girl-friendly material) and with the neck strap adjusted to fit around my head instead of a boys' neck, it magically transformed into a headband bow! So adorable. It made me wonder "Why didn't I do this before?"

You could make any type of bow tie, and follow any tutorial, but simply changing the neck measurements to the length needed to go around your head. I followed THIS Tutorial  for mine, but there are tons of adorable bow tie patterns out there. I used Velcro on the end pieces, to keep it together under my hair, but you could just as easily add a bit more length and simply tie it at the base of your hair.

So don't be afraid to change things up a bit, to fit your needs. You might just start a new trend!

2 comments:

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

I love that idea! how cute is that?!!!! I wore a headband yesterday to church and a lady who follows you on FB asked me if it was one of yours. LOL. She said she just loves the things you are making Shaina. You really are tallented and I am super jealous of you but also super proud to call you my sister too.

Shaina said...

Thanks Bex! Who was it at church?