My mom is the best. I remember when I was growing up, we wouldn't be able to eat at the kitchen table because she had her sewing projects all set up. I think I was about 10 yrs old when I first sewed something. My mom always let me use her machine, it was never one of those things on the "DO NOT TOUCH" list (like her cereal or shampoo). She always told me I needed to slow down, and even now she comments on how fast I sew. One of the best things my mom did was let me have creative freedom, if I wanted to make a blanket she helped (but made me do all the work). My mom always gave me pointers. I love that part of the reason I love to sew is because of my mom, and because she loved to sew. Now My mom is going to share how she learned to sew, take it away mom!
My mother had my Great Grandmother’s treadle sewing machine. When I was very little, barely taller then the cabinet, she would let me sew. I would stand on one foot and treadle with the other and guide the material down the feed dogs. I loved it, it is one of my happy memories.
My mother did some sewing but it was my Grandmother who made my Easter, Prom and After Wedding Reception Dresses.
I learned to embroider at age 9 and made an apron at 4 H in my early teens. When I was a Junior in High School, I decided to take the Sewing Class in Home Ec. I was put in with the Freshman for a scheduling reason and felt highly insulted.
My teacher brought me down by making me pin the pattern pieces on over and over because I was not exactly on the straight of the grain. Finally when I was in tears, she showed me how to pin the straight of the grain line and measure from the selvage at it’s beginning and end.
Through the years I have been able to make what was needful and buy what I couldn’t. I am very grateful my mother gave me the opportunity to sew on her treadle.
My mother did some sewing but it was my Grandmother who made my Easter, Prom and After Wedding Reception Dresses.
I learned to embroider at age 9 and made an apron at 4 H in my early teens. When I was a Junior in High School, I decided to take the Sewing Class in Home Ec. I was put in with the Freshman for a scheduling reason and felt highly insulted.
My teacher brought me down by making me pin the pattern pieces on over and over because I was not exactly on the straight of the grain. Finally when I was in tears, she showed me how to pin the straight of the grain line and measure from the selvage at it’s beginning and end.
Through the years I have been able to make what was needful and buy what I couldn’t. I am very grateful my mother gave me the opportunity to sew on her treadle.
4 comments:
I've been in tears over a few things myself. All part of learning to sew, I think.
Thanks mom, for teaching us to want to create things as well!
Yes, It's because of you mom that all us girls have a taste to create and make things. I always wondered how you learned to sew so well!
Really good to know mom that you weren't always perfect! It gives the rest of us a chance to catch up!
Love you momma!
Thank you for sharing memories, Sharon and Mom. :)
I too had a mom who was willing to help me sew. I was very impatient, and would end up in tears everytime I'd sew because I just wanted to be the perfect sewer immediately. I gave up in my youth , but have tried to sew several things as an adult-- some successfully, others not even close!
Post a Comment