It's that time of year again! Wahoo! If you forgot (how could you?!) September is National Sewing Month. Awesome, huh? Like last year and the year before I will be posting all month long about one of my favorite topics.. SEWING! I also have several guest posts planned. This is going to be exciting.
So let's dive in! Today's topic is about zippers.
There are three basic types of zippers:
1. Conventional- one end of the zipper is open. You can use this for different placket openings. They work great for pants, and skirts. These zippers also come in a variety of lengths (4-108 inches!) with 7-9 inches being the norm.
2. Separating- both ends of the zipper open. These zippers are used most with jackets, coats, blouses... tops mostly. They come in lengths ranging from 10-36 inches, you could order a custom length, if needed.
3. Invisible- one end is open. You need a special sewing machine foot for easier application. The thing that makes this zipper special, is that the teeth are hidden when zipped. You use this zipper at a seam, making it almost impossible to tell that the zipper is even there. Hence the "invisible" part of the name. They come in 7-30 inch lengths.
You always want to use the most appropriate type of zipper for your project. This will give it the least "homemade" appearance.
Over the next month, I'll show you how to use each kind of zipper, as well as some tips and tricks. It will be grand. Zippers are one of the basic steps of sewing that a lot of people stumble on. But they can really take a project from bleh to awesome. Hopefully you'll enjoy learning more about them!
3 comments:
If I see that a project has a zipper, I am detered...I never do it! It will be good to learn how to do a zipper again.
Likewise, zippers cause me to re-think my project, as in "how can I make this without a zipper". I look forward to you teaching me how to survive in the zip (different from the hood, although they could still be connected...through the zip! Ha!).
I love your blog normally, but especially through September! Woot!
Post a Comment