Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Guest Post: Nancy! Two hearts that beat as one

Nancy is my baby sister.  She's a crazy cat lady (serious!!), but not so weird.  More like really cool, and then you realize she's crazy enough to create a facebook page for one of her cats (friend him HERE ) and none of us really know if its a joke or not :)  She is amazing, whatever her claws flaws.  She's the most loving person you will ever meet. Speaking of love...
 
Every year when I make a guest post for September Sewing Month, I always make a corny pun using "sew" instead of "so." Sew, since I did it before, I guess it's expected of me, and I better keep rolling with it. Here we go!
 I hope you don't think too little of cheesy, lovey-dovey pillowcases! I haven't crafted much this year, but my favorite thing I made was for a good friend of mine who was soon to be wed! She is all about the lovey-dovey, sew I knew I was on the right track! I got together with a girl from work and we decided to go at it together! The first step was to pick out some fabric. In the tutorial, she used some basic fabric that would match her bedroom, and we decided to do the same. After acquiring the needed information on the bedroom color scheme, we set off to JoAnn's. Ahhh, the sweet, sweet smell of rows and rows of fabric. It makes my brain whirl with sew many possibilities!
{Sorry for the lack of pictures from our pillowcases, I didn't want to seem obsessed with taking pictures of folded fabric in front of my work friend, plus this was back in June and my mind wasn't thinking ahead to September Sewing Month (sorry Sharon!)}
Anyways, we chose plain grey and yellow, and then a paisley pattern in grey and white that is sew cute up close!
We decided not to go with adhesive letters like in the tutorial. We just cut the letters out of fabric and sewed them on. It's your preference! But let's not get ahead of ourselves, here. You start by cutting out your heart. The shape of a heart is different for everyone, so make it your own! I like my hearts short and fat, but some like them tall and skinny.
I'm not really sure what tutorial lady did with her letters, which is another reason that we decided to cut them out ourselves. I'll leave you to your defenses to figure out what she did!
What we did was cut out the letters and sew them on the heart. We cut out the basic pillowcase, sewed on the heart, and then sewed the pillowcase together. We actually had to cut out 3 sets of letters, because they were always too big for the heart! They would fit just fine, but once we thought about the curvature of the pillow once the pillowcase was slipped on, half of the letters would disappear. Sew plan accordingly, BEFORE you cut!
After that, it was time to pull off all the extra strings and lint roll! I learned that tip from none other than Sharon! It really does give the finished product a nice, clean look. No one wants to wake up with strings attached to their face...Sew not cute!
After we cleaned up, we modeled our beautiful work on our own pillows, and took a nap! Just kidding, but we thought we did such a great job! My beautiful newlywed friend loves the pillows and says they go SEW GREAT with her bedroom colors!
**insert our pillowcases here**Sorry for the blurry picture! The only cameras we had were on our phones!
 The idea and pictures for this post were borrowed from a lovely blog all about DIY. For the full tutorial, visit Elsie and Emma's blog, a beautiful mess! http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com

5 comments:

courtney said...

A really cute idea!

Shaina said...

good job, Nan!

Mags said...

I don't remember cats, but I do remember Elvis. Or am I remembering the wrong sibling? Anyways, this is really cute! A great wedding present.

Sharon said...

She loves Elvis too, but has turned into a cat lady. All the Webers' love cats, but Nan is.... crazy :) I might have gone nuts too, if I wasn't allergic to them

Nancy said...

Elvis is still my homeboy, but since my hubby isn't very fond of him, I've learned to tone it back a bit! He isn't too fond of cats either (so he says). I wonder which he dislikes more? Cats or Elvis?