Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Penelope the Elephant

I have decided that I really like knitting. There are so many different things you can make, and holy smokes I pretty much wasted today looking at different patterns. I don't know if I'll have time to make everything I want to. Partly because I'm a pretty slow knitter, and mostly because there's just too many great things to make. Oh well, good thing I'm young, and hopefully I'll get faster with practice. OK, so if you want to become a great knitter (or good at anything for that matter) I have several recommendations. Ready?
1. Learn to read patterns (knitting, crochet, sewing... life: all have their own vocabulary. Its sort of like learning a new language... but way easier. There's dictionaries, videos, books, Internet, yada yada yada that help explain how to do pretty much anything)
2. Practice: I make a ton of mistakes, but the more I practice, the less I make (or I just make new ones) I knit at least once a week
3. Help others (you learn something better, if you have to teach someone else, it's a proven fact)
4. Set goals: My goal is to try to be as good as my sister Shavonne (she's an amazing knitter- seriously) and to someday make up my own creation, meaning I don't need a pattern- I just make it up as I go
ok enough talking, wanna see my latest project? Its a little elephant! To tell you the truth, this is my second time making this little dream. The first time I ever knitted something (which was 2 1/2 years ago) it was a blue elephant which now lives with my sister Nancy. But I just love 'em so much I decided to make another. And its a small project, so I can finish it pretty fast. Its easy to put down when the kiddos need me. Want to make one of your own? You can download the pattern here. You will have to create a log in, but this site has tons of really cool knitting and crocheting patterns, and many of them (including this one) are free- so its totally worth it!
So meet Penelope!
Her pretty face

Her flower accents

and her curvy figure, she's fantastic from head to toe. So go make one of your own!

5 comments:

Shavonne said...

I *heart* kniting! Thanks for your compliments, but you're pretty good at it yourself! And you will totally become faster with practice. I'm glad you're doing more knitting, of course I support you in this endeavor ;)
Penelope's cute!!

Shaina said...

She's darling. I think she got her curves from me.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that elephant!!! I love this post! I don't knit...but would love to! Because you can make adorable things like that elephant!!!

BrittanyLane said...

So cute! Great job!!

Finding My Future said...

I love it. I might just have to start teaching myself.