Wednesday, April 9, 2008

stitchery

My sister-in-law melissa does the coolest stitchery, and i have recently decided to also pick up this talent. i'm always looking for something crafty to do. here's one that mel did for our wedding.....
And here is my first one, i made it into a pillow for my friend shannon. currently i am working one one for jaynes room, and i'll post a picture of it when i'm done because i think it's gonna turn out really cute. it's really pretty relaxing and surprisingly addictive. i've never really enjoyed cross stitching, these stitcheries go really fast, and make cute gifts

12 comments:

Shannon said...

You are so creative and crafty. I love my pillow. Thanks sooo much

Shaina said...

Very cute, sharon!

The Girls' Mom said...

I want to make one! Is it different than cross stitch? I can do that but yours almost looks quilted. Can you send me a link or comment on my blog how to do it? Very cute stuff Sharon, you and your fam are so crafty!

Shavonne said...

Did you get the patterns, or did you just wing it from looking at it? good job sharon, makes me want to focus on that craft myslef. I have the same stitcherie from Mel- the Established in... and I love it!

Shavonne said...

By the way, when I post on your blog, the word verification is always so much longer on yours than anyone elses! Like for Shaina's its zbrt5 and for yours its butlcmehicoeldjkvjoe40 or something equally long ;)

Sharon said...

Bethany- you take some muslin fabric and put cotton batting behind it, then you use a cross stitch hoop and just follow the pattern (i pencil it on my muslin) here's a great site http://www.thecountrycellar.com/stitchery.htm or just dgoogle stitchery patterns online
Shavonne- yes mel gave me her patterns, but i was thinking of trying to wing it and make a pattern of my own, it's just like doodling wich i love to do. i find that i hate the blue word verifications, the green ones are easier, but i don't know how to change it, maybe it's just one of those random things

Shavonne said...

You put the batting on before you stitch, not after when you put it together? Doesn't it pull through, or tangle the thread? I havent' done one yet, so that's why I'm asking, not questioning you :)

The Girls' Mom said...

Thanks so much!

Sharon said...

Yeah, you have to get the good cotton batting, it makes it look cute, and you can't see your threads on the otherside.

BrittanyLane said...

Good job! You needed a new obsession now that hat season is winding down...

Autumn said...

I love these pillows and framed art Mel does, too. She has done several and they are adorable. Mel is almost done with a Valentines pillowo that is flippin' cute. :)

Bethany- it's much easier then cross stitch- not that cross stitch is all that hard. On most of the stitches it's just a straight stitch. And then there's a couple other stitches you can do for effect- like a stitch that looks like a rope. And then the knots, of course, for dots. Very easy. Go for it!! Mel has TONS of patterns. I'm sure she'd be happy to copy off some for you. She showed me how she takes the muslin and the pattern up to a window- with light peering through-to copy.

Oh Sharon, post and share pictures of that cool craft/thread bag you and Mel designed and created!! All you readers will flip at this AWESOME bag these two gals created!!

kdaygirl said...

I love to crosstitch to me its very easy. I will post some things that I made. Mel does these and its awesome. She did one for my family and its to cute. I will post that pic as well.