Tuesday, January 11, 2011

super market shenanigans

I do the shopping in the family.  ALL the shopping.  Darick needs a new pair of pants? I go get them.  We run out of milk- on a Saturday night- and its 11:52pm?  I go get milk.  It like an unspoken rule.  I don’t really mind.  The other unspoken rule is I go shopping by myself- no kids!  So usually I go at night, after Darick gets home from work. (perfect break for the kids, and it gives Darick some good parenting time)… Anyway- why tell you all this?  It seems like I have some kind of “experience” happen to me every time I go shopping.  Sometimes its just a rude person that cuts me off from my parking place.  Sometimes its some kid that got lost in the store, and we needed to find his momma.  Something ALWAYS seems to happen. 

So I went to a store on New Years Eve (bad idea, I know.  But I needed a few things for our party!)  At this store, you have to bag your own groceries (HATE that part, but the prices make it worth it)  Because it’s a holiday, every checker is open (like 25+ of them)  so there are really short lines, like maybe two shoppers per line.  The checkers at this store are pretty fast too (cause they don’t bag)  So I’m not really worried about searching for a “short” line.    I walking down the line of checkers (grab a loaf of bread) and turn into a line. I notice at the checker to the right of  me there is a lady with a cart, and then from the left comes a different lady who walks into the 1 foot of buffer space I have between my cart, and the shopper in front of me. 

To my surprise, the lady calls to her mom (the shopper to the right of me) to come over, that she has a place of line.  This lady totally cut in front of me.  Now, the mom can totally see I am right there.  She says, “are you sure? “ to her daughter.  The daughter says, “Oh it’s fine, we’re in a hurry.” The she pushes my cart (and me!) back like a foot, and pulls her mom’s cart into place.  The mom, starts spouting off excuses, like “I’m sorry, we’re in a hurry!”  Then I say, “oh cause you’re in a hurry, you can cut in from of people?”  The daughter says “ we were here, we’re in a hurry.”  I say “No, you were there (pointing to my left-where she came from)  I was here. We’re all in a hurry, its New Years Eve!”  The mom says, “I’m sorry, we’re in a hurry".”  Hello? Is it just me, or is being in a “hurry” not a good reason to cut in front of people?

I decided I couldn’t stand  to watch these ladies, and I didn’t really want to fight with them (I was about to deck both of them).  So I move to the checker on the right (where the mom was standing)  I unload my groceries… wait for the checker to process my goods, help the old lady behind me unload her groceries (cause I really am a nice person!). Then go to the end of the checkout to bag my groceries.  The old lady’s groceries came down too, and so I bagged hers and put them back in her cart.  Then I went to pay my bill, and I had to wait for the old lady, who was paying hers (writing a check!). I then paid, and turned my cart to walk away.  Guess who hasn’t made it out of their line?  Yeah, the mother and daughter criminal duo!  As I’m walking past their checker, the daughter looks up at me, and I say loud enough for her and momma to hear… “Who’s in a hurry now?!”  and I stroll away. 

It was really satisfying.  Not only did I help an old lady with her groceries, I also beat the scoundrels who cut in front of me.  Maybe I’m being over dramatic, but I hate rude people at grocery stores (you know, like the ones who take the package of chicken you were about to grab)  Its the one thing I hate about doing all the shopping.  But that blessed New Years eve, the nice guy (me!) wound up on top.  Do you have these kind of things happen to you shopping?  Is it just me?

7 comments:

Kelli M. Stowers said...

WOW! That's ridiculous. I love it when you know you're right and the person trying to prove you wrong just reaffirms the fact that you actually ARE right :) There is something very satisfying in it, although I probably shouldn't gloat about it.

Unknown said...

Wow you are more amazing than I ever imagined! I love that you stuck it to them and even were a good citizen and helped that old lady. A job well done for sure!

-Tess

Shaina said...

Good guys come out on top! Good story. I often feel like decking people. Instead, I come home and complain to Heath. He hates it.

courtney said...

So so funny! Weird things never happen to me at stores, but I do hate shopping!

Tell your other stories, especially the rude ladies when you were pregnant story!

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

I like hearing your stories. I would have been annoyed...But nothing like this never happens to me. Probably because I am in my own world when I go out. I do not really pay attention to anyone while I shop.

Autumn said...

I have a few to tell, myself! One where my friend, who was pregnant, almost got in a fist fight with a guy, cause he was being rude to ME. No joke.

It's a mad world out there!

ADAW said...

I am so in love with you, Sharon. This story made my day.