Well family and friends, the time has come- for a recipe! I've been in the mood for some home-made wheat bread for a while now, I kept hoping Darick would surprise me one day (keep in mind that bread making is NOT a talent my husband has- I mean he can't be great at everything! and I have not mentioned this desire to him at all). Darick doesn't cook very often, so I took matters into my own hands. I decided last night after tossing and turning that I just couldn't stand it anymore and today was the day for my bread-making adventure! So I asked an old roomie for her recipe, and decided I wanted to spice it up with some wheat germ (the most nutritious and delicious part of the wheat kernel) there was only one thing to do... call my mom- she would know how much germ to add. My mom soon convinced me that the only right way to make wheat bread is Grandma Jayne’s (baby-oops toddler jayners namesake) way. So she went to find the recipe... here it is folks, and it's a gem!
I translated it from grandma’s measurements, to "now-a-days" measurements
I translated it from grandma’s measurements, to "now-a-days" measurements
4 C. warm water (4 "mugs")
5 tsp. yeast (2 packages)
1 1/4 C sugar OR 3/4 C sugar*
"Let that bubble and grow"
Now add these ingredients in this order... while beating with a mixer
1 1/3 C. powdered milk (the powder-not made milk)
1 C. Wheat germ (*if it is sweetened wheat germ then only use 3/4C. sugar- if not sweetened use 1 1/4 C. sugar)
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup *butter melted OR 1/2 C. Crisco *shortening melted (heaping spoonful)-I used 1/2 cup veggie oil, just 'cause I like that better
*make sure these are cooled
2 tsp salt (2 "hand-hollows")
2 C. whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour
Use your beaters (I used my kitchen-aid) and once all these ingredients are added beat for 5 minutes (this promotes gluten formation) your dough should have the consistency of muffin batter
Put a dish towel over the top, place in kitchen sink (grandma's secret! you could set the bowl in warm water to promote growth) and let raise at least 1/2 hour (I put mine in front of one of our heater vents)
Now add more white flour until you can knead the dough with your hands (about 3 -5 more cups- until it "looks right")
Knead away until your arm is going to fall off (I used my kitchen-aid again, and put the "bread hook" attachment on- then I let it knead away for like 8 minutes) cover and let it raise until the dough has doubled (I let mine go like an hour)
Place in bread pans and let it rise again (like 1/2 hour)
This is the most important thing!
Preheat oven to 350, bake bread for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 300 and bake for 45 more minutes, and voila! Perfect delicious wonderful wheat bread!
YUM!!
5 tsp. yeast (2 packages)
1 1/4 C sugar OR 3/4 C sugar*
"Let that bubble and grow"
Now add these ingredients in this order... while beating with a mixer
1 1/3 C. powdered milk (the powder-not made milk)
1 C. Wheat germ (*if it is sweetened wheat germ then only use 3/4C. sugar- if not sweetened use 1 1/4 C. sugar)
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup *butter melted OR 1/2 C. Crisco *shortening melted (heaping spoonful)-I used 1/2 cup veggie oil, just 'cause I like that better
*make sure these are cooled
2 tsp salt (2 "hand-hollows")
2 C. whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour
Use your beaters (I used my kitchen-aid) and once all these ingredients are added beat for 5 minutes (this promotes gluten formation) your dough should have the consistency of muffin batter
Put a dish towel over the top, place in kitchen sink (grandma's secret! you could set the bowl in warm water to promote growth) and let raise at least 1/2 hour (I put mine in front of one of our heater vents)
Now add more white flour until you can knead the dough with your hands (about 3 -5 more cups- until it "looks right")
Knead away until your arm is going to fall off (I used my kitchen-aid again, and put the "bread hook" attachment on- then I let it knead away for like 8 minutes) cover and let it raise until the dough has doubled (I let mine go like an hour)
Place in bread pans and let it rise again (like 1/2 hour)
This is the most important thing!
Preheat oven to 350, bake bread for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 300 and bake for 45 more minutes, and voila! Perfect delicious wonderful wheat bread!
YUM!!
6 comments:
I didn't know Grandma Jayne had a bread recipe! I'm surprised mom found it...and that she waited all this time to share it!!
I think I'll make it soon. I need to get Wheat Germ. I use to have some...
I have a good recipe for wheat bread but I will definetly try this!
Mom bought us a wheat grinder and I LOVE it. I've made lots of awesome things with fresh ground wheat. {Fresh ground wheat is SOOOOOOO good for our bodies! I've dome some research on it.}
Did you know Emmalese is name after Grandma Jayne as well? Emmalese Jayne.
I like the bread under the tree! I think I may have this recipe but I'll have to make it now. I like that you "translated" it.
Thanks for the recipe, it looks awesome!
Sweet! I can't wait to try this.
Two corrections
1. It is palm hollows of salt.
2. Be sure and grease your bowl before second rising and also your bread pans or it will stick.
I have shared this with you kids before and yes I knew where to find it Miss Organized!
Post a Comment