Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Deer Slayer REPOST

My dad is really good at telling stories, and this incident happened to him earlier this year... this morning I got an update on "Deer Slayer II" (my dad's car)... and asked dad if he would email me the whole story. You're in for a treat folks, here is a real life incident, facts have not been left out to protect the innocent.
Dad speaking.... Late last winter I needed to take the projector back to the church. After taking Nan to Seminary, I proceeded to the church. I have traveled this road so many times that it can be done without much brain activity and I think the car knows the way. I came around the curve by the Dam and WHAM! I could not imagine what I hit and the first thought was that I hit someone in the road. What idiot would be walking in the road was my thought. Then I saw the deer rolling over the hood and flying into the other lane of traffic. Cars swerving all over the road. I pulled over to assess the damage. First thought was it's not too bad I can probably drive it home. Then I looked over at the deer in the prone position in the west bound lane. Cars were taking evasive action so they did not run over it. I glanced back at the car and it still looked OK, not smoking or on fire. Just crinkled. A citizen pulled over and I determined it was a she. Sticking her head out the window with a stokie hanging out and a cloud of smoke she in a deep gravel type voice said "we gotta get it out of the road before it causes an accident." OK I said. She opened the door to her car and climbed out while pulling on gloves. My thought was I don't have any gloves, did not realize this was going to be glove type work, figured I could go at it without gloves, shouldn't take much to haul this thing off the road. We made the trek to the deer. Didn't take long since it was only 15 feet away. She grabbed the back feet. I guess deer don't have feet they have hooves. Well she started pulling on the deer. All I could do is look at the carnage laying on the road, fluid leaking out and forming a puddle, it's eyes were open and seemed to look right at me. I know the deer was gone probably because of the fluid on the road, considered that to be not good for the deer. As the citizen assist was dragging the deer off the road and I was just standing there staring back at the deer, it's eyes seemed to follow me - I was not moving but the deer was. My assistant in moving the deer reported she was done - "that'll be good." and I grunted something like "yep" Felt pretty good about what I did which was to make sure the deer didn't try to run or something, you know, I kept my eye on it. As we finished the Bonner County Sheriff pulled up. The citizen assist person waved him through stopping all other traffic while she walked back across the road. I followed figuring the traffic would also wait for me to clear the road. Upon arriving back at the car, I noticed some fluid on the ground toward the front of the car. What is this - fluid leaking from the car, kinda looks similar to what was leaking from the deer. Does that mean my car is dead also! The sheriff visited with me for a while and indicated the car needed to be hauled away. I looked for the citizen assist that helped me drag the deer off the road - she was gone as fast as she appeared. I'm on my own and I don't have any gloves. Who do you want to tow the car? I said Jerry's and he said you mean Bill's - yep. Called mom to come and rescue me. The Fire truck and ambulance showed up. Told the ambulance people that I was OK but they might want to check out the deer. They confirmed the deer was gone. We had a moment of silence... not for the deer but for my car. The fire truck cleaned up the fluid leaking from the car - that was nice of them. Mom and the tow truck arrived. A couple of days later the insurance confirmed the car was also gone or as they put it totaled. With skilled craftsman we got parts from other cars and replaced the fluid that was lost. Good as new. Since Mom hit a deer and her car was totaled also and we resurrected it (Deer Slayer I) This is now Deer Slayer 2. We're driving cars that are both salvage vehicles. These are the facts as I remember.
That's what happened earlier this year, and here is the update
Dad speaking... Here is an update on the Deer incident. As you know, Deer Slayer 2 got all fixed which I can't say that the deer got fixed. In any event, as you know the deer have been cruising by the house on several occasions. There was a group the other day just moseying by and every so often one would look at the car. I'm sure they were discussing the deer slaying of a few weeks earlier. Well the other day I was on the way to work and from out behind the trees came a deer at a full charge. Now, the way I figure it there was a meeting where all the deer figured if they made a side impact it would take out deer slayer 2. This is based on the fact that deer slayer 2 is on the road again and not leaking fluid any more. Can't say that about the deer. So lets call this deer "Harv" yep Harv was a bit late to the meeting and got volunteered to be the one. Just bust out from behind the trees and ram into the side of the white beast, you won't get hurt and it will knock it off the road. So here comes Harv at a full run. WHAM! Harv goes flying off and Deer Slayer stays on the road. No real damage - a slight dent in the left front quarter panel but still drivable. As for Harv, well, I believe the impact scared him soo much that he had an accident. Kind of embarrassing, Deer Slayer 2 is now also know as "The Poo Car" The poo is still on the car as a trophy and warning to other deer who may want to have a go at taking out Deer Slayer 2, aka Poo Car! Since the first Deer Slayer II incident, several members of my my family across the US have been "watched" by deer, they just show up and stare us down. I would like to invite those family members to leave their own deer experiences in the comment section.

2 comments:

kdaygirl said...

OK here is my deer stalker story....
After dad told us of his incident, we had a wedding in Manti, UT to go to for a friend.
We arrived fashionably early ( we wanted to get a scope of the parking lot and get a good spot, thanks dad for teaching us those fundementals) and we were really early and so decided to go on a drive of Manti. Its not really a big town, took all of 10 min.
As we drove past some houses we noticed some activity in the backyard. It was a herd of deer, there was at least 4 of them. Now we had just heard dad tell his story and just knew that these guys had heard what happened with deer slayer I.. They were on red alert. As we slowed down they turned to us and gave us the evil eye as we drove passed. We got passed and I told Jay to back up so I could get a picture of them. Go to http://mybffismysisbutonlyifiamhers.blogspot.com/
to see them stare us down.
Were pretty sure they got our license #

Raychel said...

This is hilarious!