Penelope Kay Carpenter
7 lbs. 13 oz. 19.5 inches
3:39 Am April 3rd, 2014
Lingo: Contractions-Pressure waves, Labor- Birth time
Method: Hypnobabies
The last couple weeks of Penny's pregnancy were crazy. I was having tons of pressure waves, and thought she was going to come for two weeks before she did. But I really wanted to wait until April to have her. The first reason was because my Midwife was going to be out of town, the second was I wanted Jayne to be on her spring break when I was in the hospital, the third was that we have no April Birthdays (with the 50+ people in my family).
The week Penny was born, my midwife wanted to have me come in that Friday to be induced. I was starting to show some signs of Preeclampsia and she was pretty nervous about it. I really didn't want to be induced, so I hoped she would come on her own. On April 2nd, Darick and I went bowling, in hopes of getting things started. That afternoon, Darick's Aunts and uncle all came over to visit because they were in town for a funeral. While were all sitting around visiting, my water broke(around 5:30pm). It was one of the craziest things that has happened to me! (Jayne's water broke at the hospital, the Dr. broke Max's at the hospital, and Charlie was born in his bag of water) So it was a totally new thing to just have it happen. Luckily I was able to leave the room without anyone noticing. We called the midwife and told her what had happened and hoped to start some real birth time pressure waves. We were so ready to meet our new little darling.
I went to lay down to get some rest, knowing we were going to have our baby soon. Later that night, around 11:00pm my midwife called. I hadn't had any pressure waves, and she was getting worried. She wanted us to go in, knowing that we were going to start on some Pitocin and have this baby. I really didn't want any Pitocin. After my experience with having it with Max's birth, I was really worried about it. I wasn't used to the idea yet and was having a really hard time accepting that might be what we needed to do.
We got to the hospital and my midwife checked to see how far long I was. I was dilated to a 4 and like 70% effaced. So no progression since the week before. When she checked me, she was pretty aggressive. She wanted to hopefully jump start my birth time. It was really uncomfortable.
The plan was to get some Pitocin started and have this baby as soon as possible. I was still really nervous and unsure. I was really trying to find a way out of that option. We got started on some fluids and I got all checked in (answering tons of questions). I started having regular pressure waves, and it didn't take long for them to feel pretty uncomfortable. I really needed to relax through them. We called my Rachel back in to tell her we wanted to wait to start the Pitocin. She was pretty upset and reaffirmed her desire to get this baby born as quickly as possible. This isn't her normal MO either. she is a firm believer in a woman's body being able to birth a baby with little intervention. But she was really worried about my high blood pressure. We agreed that we would start on a super low dose of Pitocin, and once I was having regular pressure waves and dilated to a 6, we could turn it off. I was super emotional and really struggling accepting I needed Pitocin. I was sure that if we gave it a little more time, my body would birth this baby just fine. But we all agreed that Penny needed to be born soon. Rachel went to go lay down while we waited, and left me in my nurse Aralee's care.
Just before the Pitocin was started, I told Aralee that I wanted to wait an hour before we started on the Pitocin. She said that we already had a plan, and we should stick to it. Rachel was asleep and she didn't want to wake her up to have the same discussion. So we decided to have Aralee check me, and if I had no progress still, we would start the Pitocin. Also at this point, I was having really strong pressure waves. She checked, and miracle of miracles, I was at a 6! So no Pitocin was needed!
From there Darick and I worked through each pressure wave, using our Hypnobabies training. I couldn't just use my hypno-tracks on my phone, because the pressure waves were so strong. I was having a hard time staying relaxed without Darick's help. So he coached me through everyone of
them.
Soon I felt like I needed to have Rachel in the room with me. She came in and waited with us. I was in my own birthing zone. As I had each pressure wave, I visualized holding Penny. I would give little pushes between pressure waves, really focusing on breathing the baby out. This is a technique Hypnobabies suggests. It is easier than pushing during a pressure wave.
I was thinking that maybe after 7-8 more pressure waves I would ask Rachel to check me again, to see if I was ready to start pushing. I've never been coached through pushing the baby out. Its always been one big push, and there they are. Then I saw Rachel leave the room, apparently she was going to the bathroom and getting a sandwich? I didn't have a problem with her leaving, because I thought I still had some more time. She was only gone a few minutes when I gave a little groan (just like the first three!) and felt Penny's head be born. It all happened really fast, and I had no idea she was so close to being born, or I wouldn't have let Rachel leave. I pushed the call button on my bed, and said Rachel's name, probably in desperation. Rachel and Aralee came in the room, and just kind of stood there waiting. Obviously they didn't know Penny was halfway born. It took everything in me to throw the blanket off my body. (Remember I was using Hypnobabies, and in it you train your body to stay completely relaxed and limp. Where you literally cannot move a muscle, you are so deeply relaxed.)
My Mother-in-law said, "oh! we have a head!" and then Rachel jumped into action. She asked my to lift my leg (I was laying on my side). I told her I couldn't, Darick help my leg up for me, and Penny was born! No tears, and very easily. I was a little shocked because it happened so fast, and without my midwife being present (again!!) I seriously would never have another baby without using Hypnobabies! It just makes the whole birthing experience exactly what it should be. Easily bringing a baby into the world, with little to no stress. And being able to really focus on and enjoy the miracle of childbirth. I can't say enough good things about it.










1 comment:
It was so amazing to be there. Thanks for letting me. I'm glad that some of the pictures worked. You were the most beautiful subjects possible! Way to go, Sharon. You are the queen of giving birth. Seriously, so amazing.
Post a Comment