My sister has an awesome Mom-in-Law who loves to sew too. I was so excited for Cheryl to be a guest on the blog. She came up with these really cute placemats, and they would be great with other \fabric combinations too. I can't wait to try them :)
Halloween Placemats
Cheryl Wood, Spokane, WA
I love to decorate for Halloween! I made very cute Halloween placemats years ago and made the mistake of mixing 100% cotton and polyester fabrics. After sewing them together, the cotton shrunk and the polyester did not! The placemats could not be used without taking them all apart and recutting them and reassembling. I finally found new fabric and came up with a design that I really liked - now my table will be adorned with darling Halloween placemats this year.
***All fabric requirements are listed as washed and ready to cut. You may need to buy a little more fabric to allow for shrinkage and squaring. I recommend washing all fabric before cutting.
Fabric Requirements:
Binding: 1/2 yard cut into 8 strips 2-1/4" wide
Backing: 1 yard cut into 4 pieces 21" x 18"
Top: 10 pieces of fabric, 1/4 yard each. Cut into 20 4-1/2" strips , do not use fat quarters. Separate the 20 strips into 2 stacks of 10 strips. You will want to think of the pattern or order of these strips as you separate them into your two stacks. (You will have enough of this fabric to make 6 placemats.) 
Batting: 4 pieces cut 21" x 18"
Instructions:
1. Sew 10 of the 4-1/2" strips together to make a large piece of fabric. Repeat with other 10 strips to make a second piece of fabric.
2. Cut pieced fabric into strips that are 2-1/4" wide.
3. Layer backing fabric - wrong side up with a piece of batting centered over fabric
4. Starting with 1 strip laid right side up on left edge of batting.
5. Lay another strip of fabric right sides together on top of first strip.
Sew with 1/4" seam allowance on right edge of strips through all layers. Open up so strips are now right sides up. Finger press seam.
6. Continue sewing new strips
until entire placemat is filled .
Be careful to keep these strips straight as you are sewing them.
7. Square placemat up to measure 18" x 15". Make sure the two end strips remain equal in width.
8. Sew 8 binding strips together and sew binding onto placemat
9. Enjoy completed placemats.
No comments:
Post a Comment